Never in the history of mankind has the technology developed to such an extent that every individual can put their innovative ideas through the whole development lifecycle, from design to going to market – all from the confines of their own home, workplace, place of study etc.
The SAIMC NPC, the voice of Automation in South Africa and one of the most influential players in future technologies through our national and international connections, is eager to put the technology in the hands of our youth so that they can fulfil their dreams of owning their own business or being employed by an employer of their choice and make their mark in industry.
In this regard, the SAIMC NPC has developed a competition called the SAIMC Innovation Challenge in which students can, with the assistance of industry, design build and market their innovation.
- The SAIMC will request the teams to join them at an Automation Pavilion where the teams will face the judges.
- Judgment will take place in three categories:
- Technical design and use of the equipment
- Commercial feasibility
- Three teams will be invited to join the SAIMC at their annual Gala Dinner where the winner will be announced and the prizes handed over.
The theme for 2019 is New Technology Innovation.
Participants may choose any project that falls in the category of New Technology or Fourth Industrial Revolution which has the potential to create a business for the participating team.
Conditions to Apply for Participation
- The competition is open to TVET, Universities of Technology and Universities
- Only new projects are eligible for the competition, i.e. projects that are in development by the education institution will not qualify for participation
- Candidates for participation will have to provide a business plan to the SAIMC for evaluation. The 10 most likely projects to go into production will be allowed to compete.
- The SAIMC will provide equipment to the value of R 50 000 to each of the approved participants. A list of equipment will be made available for all candidates. Their application needs to include the equipment they would require for their project.
- Candidates will also have to include training requirements on the equipment being requested and indicate whether they have a local System Integrator or similar to train them in their city or town and what costs will be required for the training.