Purpose of CPD
To do Engineering Work, it is a legal requirement that a person is registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa as a Professional Engineer, a Professional Engineering Technologist or a Professional Engineering Technician – see the Engineering Professions Act 46 of 2000. By not being registered, the individual stands the risk of having to pay a fine equal to double his / her salary while doing that work.
In order to register and remain registered, it is compulsory for professionals to obtain CPD points.
CPD is defined as the “systematic maintenance, improving and broadening of knowledge and skills, and the development of personal qualities necessary for the execution of professional and technical duties throughout an engineer’s career” – Electricity and Control April 2007
“This is not a system designed by administrators. It was created by a team of engineers for engineers” – Johan Pienaar who was the manager of registration at ECSA at the time.
Registration of a CPD Event
STEP 1: Register as a CPD Service Provider
- The Process: How to register as CPD SP v1
- The Form: Download the ECPD7 form, complete it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org together with your CPD Quality Management System – see CPD QMS template for an example.
- The Result: The SAIMC will verify the information supplied and then send the organiser a unique CPD Service Provider number that is used for the registration of the event and all future events.
- Registration is valid for THREE years.
- SAIMC has the responsibility to ensure that the events take place according to the rules of ECSA and this includes possible audits of the events.
STEP 2: Register the Event
2. The Form:
- Download ECPD 2 in which the applicant applies for the assessment of events using the “Unique Verification Number” you will receive after registering as a CPD Service Provider via ECPD7.
Send your advertisement PLUS the program / agenda to email@example.com. This will give us sufficient information so that we can send you a quote.
4. Documents for Assessment
Should you accept the quote, you will need to send the following information:
- CPD QMS: Your CPD Quality Management System (QMS). If you do not have one, you could use CPD QMS template and customize that for your environment. The CPD QMS must include:
- Broad Outline of CPD events
- Document and Data Control
- Participant registration process
- Method to obtain feedback
- Method to ensure attendance
- Registration Category (Prof. Eng., Prof Eng Technologist, Prof Eng Technician, Specified Category)
- Discipline (Mechatronics, Factory Automation, Process Automation, Enterprise Integration Practitioner)
- Area of specialization
- Type of Program (Webinar, Lecture, Workshop, …)
- Company Information
- Company Registration
- Company Profile
- SARS Tax Clearance Certificate
- The Trainer
- Name and Contact details: Details of the presenter must include the title, name, and contact details.
- CV: The presenter’s expertise must be provided in the form of a CV to include experience and educational achievements.
- Certified ID: A certified copy of his/her ID is also required.
- Availability of Presenter: Availability for the period of the activity must be confirmed by the presenter as a signed attachment.
- Change of Presenters: Should the presenter be changed due to unforeseen circumstances; the details of the new presenter must be submitted to ECSA for review together with the motivation for the change.
- The Event Material
- All the material that will be presented
- Registration of the Event
- After successful assessment of the material, you will receive an invoice with the CPD number.
- You will need to add the SAIMC CPD allocated number to their attendance certificates. They will need to upload the certificate to the ECSA portal to obtain recognition from ECSA.
After your payment is received, SAIMC will forward the documentation to ECSA to upload to their website.
STEP 3: During the Event
Each attendee needs to be supplied with the following:
- Attendance certificate with the CPD number provided by the SAIMC on the bottom right-hand corner
- A feedback form to attendees.
- Send a copy of the Attendance Register as well as completed Feedback Forms to firstname.lastname@example.org after completion of the event.